sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

It's about a motorcycle. It's Benelli TRK 502. It's lost

It's about a motorcycle. It's Benelli TRK 502. It's lost power and it's popping from exhaust occasionally.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Used to be rare now it's consistent with moments of normal behaviour
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: Benelli TRK 502 / 2017
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not tried fixing it yet
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no it's ok

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, I understand the problem.
The symptoms of loss of power and that popping in the exhaust are symptoms of problems in the fuel injection, the explosion occurs because there is little amount of fuel and at that moment the air causes an popping of vacuum. That vacuum explosion is reflected in the exhaust.

This is a very important symptom that when driving the fuel is not being injected correctly, therefore the first thing I recommend is a good maintenance of the injection system, I do not know the mileage of your Benelli but it is good to start by doing a replacement of the fuel filter and a cleaning the injectors.
This cleaning is carried out by disassembling the injectors and placing them in a special test bench. In addition, these injectors are good to check on a test bench that all the injectors are injecting the same amount of fuel into each of the cylinders, If not, you have a defective or clogged injector with dirt which causes it to not inject correctly in one of the cylinders and generates the popping.

I also recommend t you check the status of the fuel pump since your Benelli has 3 years of use, so it may be that the pump at a certain moment is discharging, here is when it loses power and causes the popping, therefore, i recommend checking the pressure the pump is giving through a fuel pressure gauge, it is likely that the pressure is not adequate and therefore the vehicle produces these problems.

My goal is to give you the best advice i can based on your description, if you have any doubt please do not hesitate in reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi Sebastian, thanks for the answer. I had a mechanic to pick it up today and when he had a test ride the motorbike behaved completely different. Much better. Yesterday when it was almost on empty tank I couldn’t even drive it properly. It was also after 2/3 weeks without driving. Today with half full tank it was ok. Would you know how the amount of fuel In the tank could Affect it so much? Benelli has around 8000 km driven. Thanks for your help.

It is my pleasure dear customer.
When the amount of fuel interferes, it is also another symptom of pump problems, because with less fuel the pump is forced in a greater way.

Anyway, I see several consistencies in your query that indicate fuel problems so it may also be related.

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes