sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2.5TD Warrior 2004. Two

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2.5TD Warrior 2004. Two problems 1. difficult to start but does start (it would sound like heater plugs are knackered as it just turns and turns) 2. low in power, it just dies out when it comes to a hill. How could I diagnose what is wrong with it? I would like to purchase some diagnostic equipment for around £100 to try and tell me what is wrong. What is the best equipment I could get for this amount.Thanks,Cathal
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Cathal, thank you for structuring your query in such a specific way, I will answer it in the same way:

1) You certainly have ignition problems and you are correct that it is very likely that they are symptoms of faulty glow plugs, I don't know if you have already replaced them, but this is always the first step. Usually the glow plugs can r last around 35k-40k miles, if it is more than that mileage it is good to replace them, but if once this is done the problem continues, what is presenting, very characteristic of a fuel pressure load problem, basically a problem in the pump, but usually first, it is recommended to replace the filters and clean the pump and the injectors. What is the general maintenance of the injection system. This is when it is used to perform the calibration of the pump and with this, it is checked if it is necessary to replace it or not.

2) Relating the ignition problems with the low power that is presenting points more to problems in the fuel injection system, therefore this symptom tells me the maintenance at the injection system level.

As long as you do not have an essential indicator and making the dashboard, it is likely that you do not need a diagnostic equipment but anyway I can make the recommendation of the following equipment.

These diagnostic tools are simple, but they can enter at least the motor control module, although you will not be able to enter the more specific modules such as ABS, transmission, stability control etc.

My goal is to give you the best advice i can based on your description, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt please do not hesitate to reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much for that. I think I will replace glow plugs first. I have replaced fuel filter. Are you suggesting that I remove injector pump for reconditioning and also injectors? If I replace glow plugs maybe we will know if injectors are ok?? I don’t know. I am 50. My experience is with old 3 & 4 cyl diesel Perkins engines and not modern engines..��
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 9 days ago.

Exactly, dear customer, the repairs must be done progressively, starting with the glow plugs and ending with the maintenance of the injection system.