Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

After the service today was told the head gasket needs to be

Good evening, after the service today was told the head gasket needs to be replaced, cant drive etc
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: Sorry it was MOt today with a recall, Its cx5, 103000 miles the last service 6 weeks ago and always on time, 2015 reg
JA: What year is your CX-5?
Customer: Sport 2.2
JA: Are you fixing your CX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sorry I am a women and always relied on my mazda garage for the last 18 years
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How long I should expect last the head gasket from new really? I had no signs of this coming

Hi,.there..

Have you been loosing coolant or experiance any overheating?

How did they diagnose it as a faulty headgasket?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No, initially i received a text ready for collection then somebody notices a condensation or water somewhere ( it's my understanding) which brought them to conclusion..I haven't noticed anything
But the problem is 9-10 years ago it was something similar but it was my fault not checking on oil etc and no red lights coming either so I lost engine...now I am extremely careful
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It's fine Robert, I thought it was your request to call
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
my question is from new how long I should expect the head gas last?I am with Mazda from 2001, and this time I am quite reluctant to accept the repairs from my pocket and wouldn't expect after 100 thousand miles from this type of car with no signs at all

I see ok.. well doing a headgasket on them engines isnt exactly cheap... what i would advise is to get conformation the headgasket is indeed faulty.. small amount of condenstation or sludge under the oil cap isnt that uncommon.. there are various test that can be done to confirm.. compression test,or relative compression test,, exhaust gas presence test on the coolant system.. all of which can test for a faulty headgasket..

Time wise on headgasket of lifespan is very difficult to guage..headgaskets only go if the engine is under extreme overheating or and issue with ignition...some engines can last upto 100,000miles or more without ever needing a headgasket..only something wrong with coolant system that causes the engine to overheat is usually the most common cause

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

The last Q

Should I expect any red lights on ?

You shouldnt have any red lights on the dash at all.other than the handbrake light when the cars stationary.. are you getting red warnings on the dash? either oil or temperature related when the engines running?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Not at all, only at Mazda they said you must have had the red lights on......

Any issue with oil pressure or overheating would be seen as red oil can warning or if the engine was overheating you see that on the tmep gauge upto the red position..and or sometimes you will hear the expansion tank bubbling.. if i was you maybe ask for those tests to be done to prove other wise..and then take it from there..

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

I will, thank you..it sounded from them like the car almost written off and we can find a new one for you...

And now I think is it worth it to repair or change it ( lots of finances I cant afford now) as it won't last it anyway....

Anyway, I paid for the call so you can keep it of course, and thank you very much, Robert!

No problem glad to help... If you could use the rating system,5 stars to rate instead so as to complete your question/close..it be much appreciated..