Steve
Steve, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty five years
106618989

My son's 04 polo had to put it into first gear before

Customer Question

My son's 04 polo had to put it into first gear before starting engine spittle stiff when changing gear while he drove but now when trying to get into reverse it made a growling noise
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 04vw polo
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No he hasnt
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just gone through a mot
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 21 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade

From the description you have given it sounds as though the clutch is not fully releasing and is allowing the gearbox input shaft to keep turning even with the clutch depressed.

The clutch release mechanism on the 2004 VW Polo should be a cable system and this can be adjusted to release some of the tension on the cable.

As the clutch wears the amount of free plays normally lessens, but as your sons clutch does not fully clear, if adjusting up the clutch does not help the gearchange, then it may be wear in the clutch cover or release bearing which is the problem.

This may then need a new clutch to rectify the problem.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve