Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I've just brought a BMW 320d 2014. Everything is fine but I

Customer Question

I've just brought a BMW 320d 2014. Everything is fine but I just wanted to know what this reservoir was. I know where the screenwash goes plus the oil and antifreeze but I can't find out this other one. I do have a picture of it but it won't let me upload it on here. I've never had a diesel car before so it's a bit different compared to petrol
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It all works fine but I just like to know what where as I like to do regular checks on my cars
JA: Are you fixing your 320i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it doesn't need fixing as it's just had a servplus mot. It's just that I went 2 top up the screenwash but then I wasn't sure what the other thing was next to it
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Hi..there..Im Rob, A fully certified vehicle technician in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

What you mean the small red cover? next the washer fluid filler cap..as thats your positive jump cable point that you use to jump start the car.. thats part of cover which has symbol on it for the brake fluid..you lift that cover and under that is the brake fluid reservior..Is this what your refering too? there is also a white plastic coolant expension tank on that side also next to the engine..

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No I no what that is.
Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Thats the radiator/coolant expansion tank..

See the little circle symbol on the cap.showing a caution not to open the cap when the engine and coolant is hot..

Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Any other questions?