Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Just bought a car this morning with 12 months mot which was

Customer Question

Just bought a car this morning with 12 months mot which was put on yesterday. The car has no oil, seems sluggish and there is residual oil in the engine bay. What do you think I should do?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: i don’t know
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2008 Mini Cooper d
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Don’t know what to do to be honest, just know I shouldn’t drive it with no oil
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 13 days ago.

Hi..there..Im Rob, A fully certified vehicle technician in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

If there is no oil in the engine, then its either got a major oil leak..or someone at the gaarge that serviced it, has made a gross error leading to expensive mistake by not filling it back up with oil to the correct level. if you only bought it this morning..then the garage you bought it from should be made aware of it asap, and leave it to them too fix or recover the vehicle back to their garage and resolve this issue..without further cost to yourself... if damage has occured due to the engine running on no oil through no fault of your own..then you can reject the car and ask for your money back under the consumer rights act 2015..

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I didn’t buy from the garage, it was a private sale. It was put through the mot yesterday tho
Expert:  Robert replied 13 days ago.

Well if it was private sale..then its upto the buyer to check these things "fluids" regardless if it has an MOT before you commit to buying..but normally during the test they do remove the dipstick to insert temperature probe that measures the temperature of the oil, when it comes to performing emissions test..so it not something they could miss when the test was done

Is the dipstick totally dry of oil now?

Is the oil warning light on or flashing?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There is absolutely no oil in and a light is on, the seller it was tyre pressure, got a feeling I’ve been had over
Expert:  Robert replied 13 days ago.

TPMS "tyre pressure warning" is the horse shoe shaped yellow symbol with an exclamation in the centre..

If its the RED oil can shaped light..then thats the oil pressure light...

Well there are fewer rights when buying from a private seller because parts of the Consumer Rights Act don't apply im afraid.unless you take them to court if you can prove they knew the car was faulty and miss sold it..its not something i can advise given that more the legal side of things...there is legal section on this website you can ask....

What id advise is not the run the car from now on..if you know of good local garage you normally use or a mobile mechanic locally who can come out to it with fresh oil or diagnose where the oils going.thats about as much as you can do at present...