Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

XJ Daimler Sovereign 2.8 litre, 1971 manufacture, powder

XJ Daimler Sovereign 2.8 litre, 1971 manufacture, powder blue,
JA: What would you like to learn about the item?
Customer: I'm valuing the car for probate, following the death of the owner.
JA: The Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the item in?
Customer: don't have photos, but i would say it's in fair condition
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appraiser should know?
Customer: i think its only done about 20,000 miles. needs some paintwork doing,only because someone has dragged something across the boot and scratched the top of rear wings. new battery required and attention to brakes needed.

Hi..there..Im Rob, A fully certified vehicle technician in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Given the lack of photos and the work that you mention maybe be required to get it road worthy,certainly so the brakes which will be major expense,tyres,battery - id say £5,000 - £6,000 would be reasonable value as it stands..

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I was expecting it to be between 2,000-3,000 the 2.8 litre model was a well sought after one?

Its depends on overal condition..as daily driver and now in historic status as per avoiding mot,tax exempt if it in that condition and just needs a battery minor works on the brakes to free them up in moderate condition id say 5/6k - Concours-quality ones will be slighter higher or attract premium value.. if the cars is bad condition,needs alot of work,been off the road for quite sometime..needs respray "as per rear end" ,brakes, mechanical,electrical works,suspension..then you be on 3k region or lower....