Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

Very hard to select gears, and then it jumps out of gear

Customer Question

Very hard to select gears, and then it jumps out of gear when moving. If it is the selector's then I would like it repaired, if it's the syncro inside, I would scrap it. VW Polo, R874UKM
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 100,000. No fluid leaks. Just been MOTd.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: Polo. 1997 1400 petrol. R874 UKM
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not tried anything myself.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: As far as I know, nothing else wrong. Just passed MOT no problem. Jumped out of 5th gear on occasions this last 3 months.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 7 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today is it still stiff going through the gears without the engine running.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No, I turned the engine off to select first, and it shirted ok. Could not get any gear with the engine running.

So you can not get any gear now with the engine running.

I do need more information from you from what i have if it goes in and out of gear fine with the engine switched off that would be a sign of a worn out clutch pressure plate and the clutch will need replacing issue number 2 regarding the jumping out of gear that is most often worn out synchronizers in 5 gear if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.