Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

I sometimes have trouble starting my car have had the

Customer Question

I sometimes have trouble starting my car have had the battery checked and all ok there
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Nissan Quasimodo’s 58 plate
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just battery check and no
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It’s not all the time
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, as i don't think it is needed at this point.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Which engine do you have on this Nissan?

When you say the car doesn't start, does it crank and not start, or it doesn't turn at all?

Other than the battery, was anything else checked?

Is the car exhibiting any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Any ideas
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
1600,it starts then dies,turns over after a while nothing else checked,no other issues,seems to happen if I don’t use the car for a couple of days
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

OK!

In this case, i would recommend cleaning the throttle body.

You will need some carb cleaner and a rag. Remove the hose that is going from the air filter box towards the engine, At the engine side, you will have the throttle body, it should have some black carbon around the plate. Spray some carb cleaner and remove using the rag, until the throttle body is cleaning.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
O
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As I don’t know one end of a engine from another if I take to a garage is this a expensive job
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

If you are not used to doing this kind of work, you can have any mechanic do it for you. It's a very simple and basic process. It should not take much time, should not cost much.

Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

No it most definitely should NOT be an expensive job. It should take no longer than twenty minutes.

Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance.

Regards,

Billy