CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter needs to be changed,

Customer Question

Hi oxygen sensor after catalytic converter needs to be changed
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: mini cooper one 2008 petrol
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i failed emission test co is too high i tried the depitane not working i had it checked it says that oxygen sensor after catalytic converter needs to be changed
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont know what to do to pass the emission test i dont know whats wrong with the car
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.

You will be prompted for a phone call by the automated system, only accept this if we can't resolve the issue through messaging, otherwise we can continue our conversation on the message thread.

Have you had the short and long terms fuel trims checked via an OBD scan tool?

If the O2 sensor is bad, this can cause a emission test failure because the ECU may be adding excessive fuel into the engine, you will also notice excessive fuel consumption.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
If i change the oxygen sensor will that help then?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
File attached (SV4642G)
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thats the erro of the car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

Thank you, i'll be with you in a moment.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What should I do then?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

2A56 refers to the heating element inside the o2 sensor. I would advise getting the wiring tested and carrying out a resistance test on the heater element of the o2 sensor. The wiring near the exhaust can deteriorate because of exposure to heat and the road surface so it's best to make sure the wiring is good, before replacing the sensor.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

Also, the 287D fault code, is likely to be a problem with the VANOS intake solenoid or the wiring. You will have 2 solenoids, one for the exhaust side and one for the intake side. This can also cause issues with emissions because it controls how much air is going into the engine at certain speed of the engine.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

I hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions, feel free to message me by replying on this message thread.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Do I need to change the vanos salenoid?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

You most likely will have to, they get clogged and worn out easily if the oil isn't changed more regularly than other engines without VANOS. Again, I would advise checking the wiring to the solenoid before calling it bad.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
If incase i decide to change oxygen sensor, vanis salenoid and thermostat sensor amd housing do you think it will pass emission somehow?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 21 days ago.

I wouldn't advise just changing parts without testing because if the problem is in the wiring, then fitting a new part won't do anything. You can replace them without testing anything and hope it's the part that is faulty, that is what most people do anyway but personally, I always advise on testing first, and then replacing the part if needed.