sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Have a 2001 bmw 320ci auto coupe. Very low miles 16000. Have

Customer Question

Have a 2001 bmw 320ci auto coupe. Very low miles 16000. Have noticed the gearbox warning cog with exclamation mark comes on. If I start the car and drive off the light doesn’t come on. The gears change smoothly and the car performs perfectly. If I pull up and put the car into park the light comes on. The car then goes into limp mode. If I turn the car off and restart it the light continues to come on. If I start the car and immediately select drive the light stays off and the car performs perfectly. I have tried resetting the box by pressing the accelerator for 30 seconds. Again the light remains off and the car drives fine until I stop and move the gear lever into park.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The cog shaped light with exclamation in centre. Example if you select drive the dash shows D for drive. The light illuminates and replaces the D
JA: Are you fixing your 323ci yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I intend to take the car to a specialist. Just curious for now
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It is an e46 320 not a 323 model
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 23 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, what maintenances have done lately to the gearbox?
Have you ever replaced the transmission fluid and filter?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi, no maintenance has been completed that I am aware of. There are no records from the previous keeper. The car has only done 16k mls. Should it need maintenance?

Dear customer, you should do it not because of the route but because of the time that the vehicle has. Surely it is sat for long periods and the fluids begin to change their properties with the passage of time.

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.