sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have an old Renault Trafic 2.1 Diesel camper van 1990. The

Customer Question

Hi, I have an old Renault Trafic 2.1 Diesel camper van 1990. The top drive belt (to the alternator) snapped, but I cant see how to install the new one around the existing main drive belt. I see the slider for the top belt but the doesnt seem to be a way to detension the existing belt.
JA: What shape is the drive belt in? Do you know if it needs to be replaced, or just adjusted?
Customer: Replaced. I have the new belt
JA: What year is your Traffic?
Customer: 1990
JA: Are you fixing your Traffic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. It broke and standed me in the middle of nowhere.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I hve been trying to repaIR IT AS I CANT TAKE IT ANYWHERE
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Sebastian thanks for getting back.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no thanks, ***** ***** not near the vehicle at the moment. Im fairly OK with engines, but I just can see how to de tension the lower belt.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
even if I took the pully off I would still need to tension it to replace it.

Dear costumer, in these 1990 models have adaptive processes and it is not the original belt, some times for accesories or they did not foud the original one, please could you tell me the size of the broken belt?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry Jose, I have no idea. I left it with the vehicle (which is 10 miles away)
The mechanism seems pretty simple. The drive wheel has two pullys, one for the water pump and the other to the alternator and fan. The fan belt has broken and it is behind the main drive belt. The alternator has a slider tensioner, the main belt doesnt seem to.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I cant install the fan belt without taking off the main belt, and I cant see how to remove the main belt. ie. main drive to water pump
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Jose, I have just received a call and have to go out. I will leave this DM running in case you have an idea, otherwise I will continue when I get back.
Thanks for your help so far Jose.
Best wishes
Grant
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry Sebastian, Im sure I was talking to Jose earlier. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK good start on this site. I will try again tomorrow.

Dear costumer ,while you get back, i will be looking for it in the manual, but the ideal is you to provide me the right size, i´ll be pending.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK time to try again. I have been up to the vehicle this morning and picked up the drive belt. It is a DAYCO 11A1030C which was recommended for this vehicle and is 1 mtr long.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Dear costumer please give some time to help you find the diagram

Dear costumer this is the distrbution diagram you need.