sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have just purchased a Jeep Cherokee 2.4 sport, the alarm

I have just purchased a Jeep Cherokee 2.4 sport, the alarm went off and I eventually figured out that I had to press unlock and lock on the key fob to disable it. Now the car is making a constant clicking sound, the back lights are flashing and the car wont start what can I do?
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: i have tried the spare key and that wont work either
JA: What year is your Cherokee?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have sat and googled on line help done various things, sat in car and pressed unlock button on key fob 5 times in 10 seconds as someone said that might work
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: dont think so, wondered if its just the battery thats died or is it linked to the fact the alarm went off and now the immobilser system has kicked in?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
wondered if I would get any help with this, this evening?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I Know its late.....
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
is there anyone that can answer my question which I posted at 12.23 and was told there was a 8 min wait?

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, this seems to be a problem with the immobilizer system that has been activated.
Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.
When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.
If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer.

If the immobilizer cannot verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, there are auto locksmith garages and local garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This problem may be the most likely but there are another factors like a problem with the key fob or main battery, fuses, key barrel or some sensor like the CKP sensor. Starter relay etc. That can inhibit ignition as well

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
just to be clear there will be no point trying to jump start the car?

No dear costumer it has no sense to keep trying to turn on the vehicle while immobilizer sistem is working it surely have to be an alarm issue that mess with the anti theft sistem

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Sebastian, I just jump started the car and everything was back to normal so no need to go to the dealer, no problem with key fob, battery etc as you stated

Dear customer, then you have to be careful with the key fob because it is likely that you have problems at the battery level, normally when there is a problem of this type, there are intermittent failures with the immobilizer system in the ignition.