sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2007 X3sd with 98k miles and it has started making

Hi I have a 2007 X3sd with 98k miles and it has started making a knocking/clunking sound at low speeds especially in reverse and also when stationary changing from gear drive to reverse it doesn't seem to do it at all at higher speeds like over 30-40mph. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear wheel area sometimes and sometimes it's coming from the middle of the car around where the prop shaft is. I have changed both the front and rear diffs but still get the same sound. I have read this is probably something to do with the transfer case but wanted to speak to an expert before I go any further.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Forgot to say all tyres are pirelli p zero rosso star rated and new.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, as it is a 2007 model and you already have close to 100,000 miles, it may be a transmission lubrication problem therefore it causes the noises, you probably have a long time without performing an oil and filter replacement, so I would recommend that you start doing this maintenance. .

I would also recommend you do a check of the wheel bearings and brake calipers, they may be worn and need to be replaced.

Finally, I would recommend that you do a review of the front axles, especially the CV joints.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It has 3 brand new axles and the last one I didn't replace is perfectly fine I checked them when I changed the front diff a couple of days ago the one front one I replaced only because the cv boots were both about to split. The tranmission fluid and filter was changed recently I used genuine zf parts and fluid. transfer case and diffs all have new fluid in them. The brake calipers were strpped down when I sprayed them and I replaced every seal every piston literally everything on them was replaced with new. It Also has 2 new wheel bearings on the rear and the front bearings have absolutly no play in them at all they make no sounds or judders when spun.