sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Our Skoda Octavia III 2.0 TSI VRS (2018) appeared to develop

Hello, Our Skoda Octavia III 2.0 TSI VRS (2018) appeared to develop problems during lockdown, we believe due to (foolishly) running the engine while stationary to charge the battery (we did this many times often for half an hour at a time). The first sign of a problem was being told the stop/start system was not functioning (this while actually driving the car). Then a few weeks later the EPC and engine lights came on and there was an awful misfire and dreadful smell from exhaust. We changed the battery, registered it using an Autel and also came up with these fault codes: P006800  P050700  P133500  P030100 P030200 P130A00 and P030000.
We ran the car engine for a while (weeks ago) and all of a sudden the warning lights went and the misfiring stopped. We drove the car for about ten miles and it ran perfectly. The only strange (presumably unrelated) occurrence was hearing the doors locking and unlocking constantly whenever we drove at low speed. Now there'a a fault with the driver's door and we need to use the key rather than the remote. The following day, we took the car out before it had settled and it was a disaster, acceleration was poor and the misfire continued. Then the car lost ALL throttle. After the engine was stopped and restarted the throttle returned, but then we lost it again. This happened three times on the four mile journey home. We have not attempted to drive it since.
We replaced the intake manifold pressure sender but there's no improvement (the car doesn't appear to have a MAF). We have bought a new throttle body but yet to fit it as it means getting under the car and we wondered if it's even likely to be the fault.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes, many times but not on this car.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Skoda Octavia III TSI 2.0 VRS (2018)
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's in my message above. The intake manifold pressure sender has been replaced (and battery).
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, everything is included in my original message.

Hiya

Initially you will need a full diagnostic code read preferably using Skoda Diagnostic Equipment.  This places the code in order of diagnostic preference.

Potentially these codes and problems you are having are all battery related.  Did you purchase the battery from the Skoda Dealer or is it from an Aftermarket Parts Supplier?  This could cause an issue if it is not exactly the correct battery.  It is not just the Voltage you need to look at.  It is also the Amperage and the Amp/Hour of the battery.  Modern Charging systems rely on the correct battery being fitted.

Phillip

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** purchased the battery ourselves but made sure it was the same amp and voltage and suitable for stop/start systems. Also the faults occurred before we changed the battery, I maybe didn't make that clear. If it is the battery why would the car run fine for that ten miles I mentioned?

Hiya

Disconnecting the battery performs a System Reset so no fault codes will have been present in the system.  Most fault codes will not reappear until two drive cycles so in effect after the system sees the same fault twice in a row.

Looking at the codes you have presented a couple of them are to do with Idle Air Control and Throttle Systems.  It may need a relearn carried out on these systems.  If the battery was faulty then it could have affected the software settings for these.  This should be carried out at a Skoda Dealer who can also check if there is any software updates for the Engine Control Module and the Battery Control Module.  If the vehicle is still under  warranty (3 years / 60000 miles) which it may just be then this could be carried out under warranty.

Phillip

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** car is no longer under warranty and not driveable, could a mobile mechanic carry out the functions you wrote about? By the way, we were advised to replace the original EFB battery with an AGM, but as I said we had the faults before the original battery was removed. I do wonder if the driver's door fault and locking/unlocking of doors while we were driving was battery related. We did charge the old battery wrongly, with charger connected to negative terminal rather than the earth, we then bought a new sensor in case that was damaged.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I was very disappointed not to receive a reply to my last question.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Still nothing so I'll have to give up.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

dear costumer according to the error codes i see problems at the air intake and throttle potentiometer regulation problems, remember that the potentiometer have to be coded through a diagnostic equipment with Skoda software,as you bought one replace it but remember that you have to code it and check the connections very well. related to other electrical faults i recommend you to make a fuses and relays checking because they are likely to have been damaged after battery charging problems.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for getting back to me, Sebastian, Do you think running the engine while the car was stationary (we did this frequently during lockdowns) did cause the problems in the first place? Do you feel the doors constantly locking and unlocking (on that one drive when the car was OK) could be part of the same problem, and the malfunctioning driver's door which will only work now with the key? Any idea why the problems went away for that one ten mile drive and then came back even worse? Why the throttle goes altogether until engine is restarted?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Re-reading your message, Sebastian, I think you explained the door electrical problem probably being due to damage when incorrectly charging the battery. When you said about Skoda software, do you mean the car has to go to a Skoda dealer rather than any other garage/mechanic?

Dear costumer is not that you have to go to a dealership, bacause any external workshop with a skoda software so you can do the reset. I really think that you have the throttle body programmed i would not have replaced it before i had coded the potentiometer again with a diagnostic equipment, but as you tell me that you have a replacement take advatage of replacing it but remember that you have to code it, both the restoration and this coding is not necessary to do it in an agency.

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much, Sebastian, you've been very helpful.

Dear customer, a pleasure to serve you.