Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

If a car has been parked on a sloped surface for 10 months

Customer Question

if a car has been parked on a sloped surface for 10 months through the autumn, winter, spring and the battery is flat, should I rock my car back and forth toloosen the sediment and oil before trying to start the engine?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 6 months before approx 150 miles travelled in this time.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: hyundai 1100
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: charged the battery to take my car for its service and mot, but will not start. battery is about 18months old and this is first time its happened. full service history but usage has been reduced to 2 or 3 hundred per year
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that i can think of. car has been ultra reliable until now. I was stranded in Europe since august because of the pandemic, so car has not been started since then
Category: Car
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 12 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today all you have to do is just check the oil and start it up.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I charged the battery for four hours but it would not start and the battery went flat again this has never happened before

How old is the Battery.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the battery was replaced about 18 months ago

It will need about 24 hours on charge to bring the cells back up.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am now in the process of charging the battery will make sure i leave it charge for the full 24 hours. thank you for your patience, i never try to work on modern cars, I leave to the experts.

No problem regards Gavin.