Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

My 2001 mini won't go into gear when the engine is running

Customer Question

My 2001 mini won't go into gear when the engine is running and the car is stationary
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It is the original
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, i have replaced the master input cylinder and the slave cylinder is working fine. System has been bled
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
James
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Kevin, I'm james
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

Hi James i hope you are well. how does pedal feel ?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It's light but springs back
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

ok, so what your describing is a lack of clearance so the clutch isn't fully disengaging when depressed.if you have replaced the hydraulics and bled and the issue persists then it can only be the clutch itself that's causing the issue

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The weird thing is that once moving you can select gears
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

yeah its always easier when moving

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'll need to replace the whole clutch?
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

correct

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok mate thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

your very welcome