Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

The speedo dashboard light display stays on after i have

the speedo dashboard light display stays on after i have turned the car off and drains the battery over a couple of days
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: is there a seperate fuse for this illumination and how would that make it stay on
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: mini 2008 convertible
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: bought anew battery
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: dont think so

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thanks

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, as i don't think it is needed at this point.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

This light is controlled by the module at the instrument cluster. It's commanded to light by the body control module (BC1).

The most likely cause for this problem would be a faulty body control module. Those modules fail because of water intrusion.

The first thing would be to check this module. It's located on the driver's side right footwell.

To access it, you will need to remove the seat belt mount and the door sill. The module is held by a nut.

You will find that the wrap around the wiring getting to this module a bit wet.

Mini issued a bulletin on this, indicating that the wrap be swapped with electrical tape polythene.

Once you get to the module you can use a hairdryer to remove all the humidity, and check if it works. If not, it will need replacement. You need to know that replacing this module would require programming, and information from the old module will need to be transferred or programmed to the new module.

Kindly let me know if further assistance is needed.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thanks so i just replace the BC1.. where is it ?

The BC1 is on the driver's side right footwell. Under the driver's right foot.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
your other texts have just come in after i asked yo where it was i am not near the car at the moment

That's fine. Take the time you need. Hopefully there's only some dampness which can be dried out and then sealed with electrical tape and the problem solved without resorting to a new BC1 with programming.

Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member