Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

Ihave a warning light coming on for the exhaust on my

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: ihave a warning light coming on for the exhaust on my daughters 2008 VW golf 1.6 FSI. i was told i need to change the manifold but read elsewhere it may be just the throttle body needs changing. is this acommonn fault?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: warning light on the rev counter in dash
JA: What is the model of your '08 VW?
Customer: Golf match FSI 115 . Mk 5??
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i'll probably go to a mechanic i'm just trying to understand the problem and cause
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: dont think so....

I my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today is this the warning light you have see image.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
that's it

Do you know what trouble code is stored.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thanks Gavin, i'm not going to try to fix myself i'm just trying to understand the problem so that i understand when a mechanioc tells me what's needed. i was told by one garage the manifold needed changing, didnt get code off them. online i found a forum that said the whole manifold didnt need changing just the throttle body. another said the valve just needs changing???

You could buy an OBD2 code reader to get the trouble codes see image example.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
how specific is the code, would it show a different one for each part of the system i.e one for throttle body, one for manifold e.g. gasket, etc or is it one code for all inlet manifold problems?

Yes it gives me a lot better direction to advice you and the code reader can be used on any car in the future.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i'll tryt thre garage first to see if they'll let me have the code. Can i ask for you if i get back to Jus Answer once i've got the code?

Just get back to me on this thread please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok, thanks for now.

Talk soon.