Steve
Steve, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty five years
106618989

I have a 2004 Ford Focus. It makes a humming noise and

Hi, I have a 2004 Ford Focus. It makes a humming noise and slight vibration that's coming from the rear and gets louder the higher the speed of the car. I know it's not exhaust as the tone doesn't change when moving through the gears. Any idea what it could be? I was told tyre hum but I don't think it's this. To me it feels like it's coming from the rear axel.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have very little mechanical knowledge. My mechanic has replaced bushes and something else on each rear corner that i can't remember the name of.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: only that it's gradually getting worse.

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

The noise you describe sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. but a mechanic would normally be able to find this by spinning up the rear wheels. There is very little at the rear which could make a noise other than the wheel bearings or a tyre noise.

It can be the case that the wheel bearing will not make the noise until the speed increases and this may explain why your mechanic has not found it.

The other possibility is that a part of the exhaust system is touching the body at some point, this is another point which should be checked.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Steve

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks Steve. Hopefully this will help me get this sorted.

I hope it goes well but o get back to me on this thread if needed.

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.
Steve