sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My 2002 rav4 has got a fault. it was driving fine but I

my 2002 rav4 has got a fault . it was driving fine but I stopped outside my house and on going back to my car it wont start. the renote wont work to lock/unlock the doors, when the key is in the ignition the security light dosnt come on and when the key is turned nothing happens except the dials shoot up and then go back to normal. all other electrics seem to work ok except for the indecators which dont respond. do i need a mechanie or an electrician
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: not the fuses dut the door locks and latches areb ok
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new battery in the remote fob and checked under bonnet for loose connections.all seem ok
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no i cant think of anything else thank you

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
hi hope you are well
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
i,d rather text than talk if thats ok.do I need a mechanic or an auto electrician?

Dear customer, I would like to know what you have checked so far, especially the fuses and relays, and the condition of the main vehicle battery and the remote control battery.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Main battery was renewed a couple of months ago and the remote has a brand new battery. As I stated most of the electrics work but I'm looking at fuse or relay problems especially as the indicators don't work
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'll get an auto electrician to give it a look tomorrow. Thanks for your help Have a good day

Dear customer, this seems to be a problem with the immobilizer system that has been activated.
Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.
When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.
If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer.

If the immobilizer cannot verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, there are auto locksmith garages and local garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This problem may be the most likely but there are another factors like a problem with the key fob or main battery, fuses, key barrel or some sensor like the CKP sensor. Starter relay etc. That can inhibit ignition as well