sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My LDV Pilot 2003 won't rev higher than 2000 revs, Have

My LDV Pilot 2003 won't rev higher than 2000 revs
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have blocked all air leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the fuse going to the glow plugs (van wasn't starting due to this). Mechanic came out and got her moving but there is no acceleration There are no error codes or anything
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: It does drive but seems to stall more than I'd expect. Only gets to max 15mph
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that there is black/grey smoke when it's revved as high as it can go

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Would appreciate the help!
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can't afford to call right now!
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Dear customer, the dark smoke or with black coloration usually tends to be excess fuel, therefore due to the symptoms that you present and due to this smoke,it is likely that you have a problem at the injection system level, perhaps one of the injectors is sending fuel direct that is not correctly burned that is why the smoke comes out of the exhaust and also a good revolution is not raised.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How would I know that that was the case for sure? Could the O2 Sensors also be at fault? Would it be worth changing it out before messing with injectors?

The oxygen sensor can be detected through the Diagnostic tool. It is better to perform a diagnosis and verify the error codes to see if they are pointing out the sensor.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
There are no codes showing now frustratingly!

Dear customer, any mechanical garage can make that diagnosis that I recommend.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I can't drive it to a garage, it won't go faster that 10mph

Dear customer, in that case, replace the sensor if you want and then to reset the code you are only going to disconnect the battery from the negative terminal with the positive connector connected for 30 seconds. It is not ideal but at least you could rule out the sensor that is cheaper than having to do maintenance on the injection system.