Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

Nearside Front Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened

Customer Question

Nearside Front Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i)). Basically just failed mot for this.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Renault Clio extreme 1.2 2010
JA: What year is your Renault?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet need advice
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Finn
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No thanks prefer chat
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

Hi Finn I hope you are well. If the subframe is corroded to the point it's a mot failure it will have to be replaced in order to rectify the issue. These are not allowed to be welded and any repair would also be a failure

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you know the average cost to fix this?
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

i doubt very much you can purchase a subframe from Renault and a breakers yard would be your best bet but labour to replace is around £250

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you know the price of a replacement subframe?
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

i would expect to pay £3-400 if you could fin a new one

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok so ball park figure for labour and parts would be about £650?
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

yes

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you know where to find the nearest breakers yard?
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

your best bet is to google breakers yards online and have a ring round to see if they have one in stock

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok that’s great. Thanks for your help today Kevin. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

your very welcome, thanks for choosing JustAnswer, and have a great evening too!

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!