Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Failed mot and need it fixed today please.Antiroll bar

Customer Question

failed mot and need it fixed today please.Antiroll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents ingress of dirt nearside front and offside front
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Honda Crv 2012
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing just had the mot yesterday
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: fix it and then get and mot done please
Category: Car
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i have attached a photo of the repair needed
Expert:  Robert replied 15 days ago.

Hello.Im Rob. A Certified Motor Technician in the UK. And will be advising you on your question today.

We do not physically repair vehicles here.this website is only for advising garages,mechanics,vehicle owners on repairs,faults...

Given what you MOT states - that job would take less than an hour.probably not even that. to carry out with the new droplinks supplied..Your MOT garage should be the ones ideally carrying that out.and most likely wont charge for retest..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have given the car to another garage as my MOT garage did not have an earlier date. They have kept my vehicle for the day and I am waiting on their phone call to tell me about the price etc. Once that is done I will call the MOT garage to redo my MOT. How much would such a repair cost?
Expert:  Robert replied 15 days ago.

You could get decent ones for about £30 each...time id say garage labour rate of an hour to carry out both sides...all in all average £90... Really depends on garage labour rate and where "they" source their parts from..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for that information as my MOT garage quoted a price of £180 for the repair.
Expert:  Robert replied 15 days ago.

£180? sounds way over the top.. each link only has 2 bolts to undo or cut bolt off.. then install new one less than 5 minutes to do..very easy things to replace for competent garage or mechanic to carry out..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would be aware of any good garages or mechanics in the Ashford or nearby areas?
Expert:  Robert replied 15 days ago.

Sorry i dont.not my area im afraid..im way up north of the country..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Robert replied 15 days ago.

You're most welcome..And thank you for using Justanswer

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry another question I had was once my vehicle is repaired, I retest it at the same place I did my MOT. Do they charge for this?
Expert:  Robert replied 15 days ago.

Hello.. Each MOT station differs incentives for retest cost..some may do it for free,some may charge a partial retest fee..they can only charge you for the standard cost of MOT which is £55, they are legally allowed to recharge you the same again..they cannot charge over that that set fee..like i say depends on the garage to be honest..