sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2012 Westminster 4.4,V8, diesel. It is properly

Hi, I have a 2012 Westminster 4.4,V8, diesel. It is properly serviced with 63k miles on the clock. I parked it up and had no indicators of problems via the on board diagnostics. The alarms set off for no reason that I could see, all doors locked and no response from either my daily key or spare key. The batteries were changed about 3 years ago. Gained access, and now it is electrically dead apart from the horn and the control knob for the HVAC. I purchased a new battery but this made no difference. Found the manual release for the parking brake but the drive is in PARK so cannot move it to allow recovery truck access.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Engine is 2012 and last serviced June this year. The service book is locked in the glove compartment.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Range Rover Westminster V8. 4.4 twin turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put the original battery on charge and the alarm system (horn) sprang into life so suspected and poor battery. I then bought a new battery and jumped it through the original in the car but no change. I then generally checked any connections although I am not sure what I am doing.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so other than I am not a mechanic.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, the battery you replaced was the main battery of the vehicle correct? it seems to be a deprogramming of the electronic system of the vehicle but I would like to know if after replacing the battery you went back for a diagnostic to perform a factory data reset because the battery could deprogram the system but if it does not reset after the battery replacement the problem will persist.

I would also like to know if you replaced the battery in the key,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Sebastian, Thanks for responding.
I did not replace the existing battery as it is in a position where it will take two people to remove it. I used heavy duty jump leads to connect the new battery to the car via the existing battery. Nothing changed.
I have not replaced the key batteries but will do so today.
As regards ***** ***** car reprogrammed; the car is stuck on my drive in a position where it is impossible to recover to a garage. I have found the manual release for the parking brake, but the car is locked in "park" via the central drive selector? Do you know how to release it?

Dear customer as you will understand the gear selector does not go up so you cannot release the selector position, to relieve it you have to remove the cup holder which is in the centre console under the cup holder you will find an unlocking latch.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Sebastian,
Good news, I put another new battery onto the car and it started and all functions returned.
Thanks for your help.RegardsBob