sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have ne 36 m50 engine in a kit car which has developed a

Hi There,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Hi,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have ne 36 m50 engine in a kit car which has developed a chain rattle once warmed up.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: from the engine for about 8000 miles i have replaced the tensioner in rhs which was easy but little change
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: BMW 3 series 1996 e36 m50
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself and just the side tensioner
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no and thanks
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they know the make, model, year of your vehicle, engine type and size, fuel type and registration plate number.
Please provide the information above to help Experts find a solution quicker.
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer I see that you did a replacement of the engine timing system tensioner but it is very likely that this is not enough whenever we have problems in the timing system it is very necessary to replace the whole timing kit completely i.e. basically you can not replace a single part you must always replace the whole kit completely tensioners belt or chain gears sliders etc. in case it is not done the vehicle will continue to fail or it may work well for a short period but after a short time it will fail again.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thanks

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes