sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My fob won't work so can't turn off immobiliser, Yes I've

Customer Question

Hi my fob won't work so can't turn off immobiliser
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes I've changed the battery
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Smart Roadster 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Roadster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Couldn't find anything on Google
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi. Could you please give me an idea of how long before the mechanic can get back to me. I don't want to miss him.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi. The estimated wait time was 8 minutes. I've now been waiting over an hour. Could you please let me know when the mechanic is going to get back to me as I don't want to miss him.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, this seems to be a problem with the immobilizer system that has been activated.
Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.
When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.
If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer.

If the immobilizer cannot verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, there are auto locksmith garages and local garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This problem may be the most likely but there are another factors like a problem with the key fob or main battery, fuses, key barrel or some sensor like the CKP sensor. Starter relay etc. That can inhibit ignition as well