Steve
Steve, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty five years
106618989

My car is overheating.its in the garage,they have put a new

Customer Question

My car is overheating.its in the garage,they have put a new thermostat on as it would not open.they have put a new radiator on but still overheating.They say the pipes are going hard and water not circulating.Now they say it could be the water pump but they don't know,it is a 2007 Peugeot 207
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Never overheated before,I have had it 4 years never serviced it
JA: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 207, 2007
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Garage is looking at it,they have put a new thermostat on,a new radiator
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

It is very possibly the water pump, it is quite common for the impeller blade on the pump to come loose  and spin on the water pump shaft, so that even if the shaft is spinning ok, the pump is not actually pushing the coolant around the system.

This is the most likely reason for the coolant not circulating. Once the old pump is removed if there is a problem with it this should be easily detected.

You do not mention the engine size but it is quite common for the 1.4 engine to have problems, and if the coolant pump is replaced then the timing belt should also be replaced.

Other causes of overheating can be the head gasket, but the coolant would in this case still circulate.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Steve

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That is great , thank you, ***** ***** in touch with the garage now
Expert:  Steve replied 16 days ago.

Do please feel free to get back to me by replying to this thread  if you need any details.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 15 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.
Steve