Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

I am in the middle of buying a fiat ducato 2007 van. I just

Customer Question

Hi there, I am in the middle of buying a fiat ducato 2007 van. I just paid for a mechanic to complete an inspection. He states there is "heavy corrosion on left side sill". Please can you let me know what is meant by corrosion and if this is fixable?
JA: What is the model of your '07 Fiat?
Customer: FIAT DUCATO 33 120 M-JET MWB
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I would pay for a mechanic to fix it
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have not tried anything so far as I have not bought it yet. The inspector also said that the engine and transmission performance is to be not considered in line with a similar vehicle the same model and mileage.
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: The transmission cables/adjustment are in good condition as are linkage (wear). Under bonnet fluid levels were checked before the test drive and were found to be correct
Category: Car
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (LQLMSQS)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (Z4T4M4V)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (LLVTZQ4)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (7557671)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Those are photos of the van taken by the mechanic. However I would like to have secondhand advise.
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello! I am happy to talk on here. My name is Sas
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
Hi Sas I hope you are doing well. Ok so the pictures show a clear and obvious point where the door sill has completely rotted away and will require plating to make the vehicle safe. The bigger concern would be the unknown involved in the loss of power and the imminent mot being due
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Kevin, how much would a door sill plating cost? And what do you mean by unknown loss of power? I would get an MOT right away if I were to buy the van. I understand the repairs will cost a lot, but I would like to know if once repaired, the van will be good to go.
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
It’s the engine performance that’s concerning as we don’t know the cause. It could be a set of injectors, fuel pump or even a turbo issue all could cost thousands . Plating the sill is difficult to say for sure without cleaning up to see when the rot ends but average for a hole that size is only a couple hundred to plate
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay thanks. So you're concern is the engine transmission and performance?
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
because this is a relatively unknown cause
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Even if it passes the MOT and I pay for a mechanic to sort the engine and transmission loss of power out, do you think it will be worthwhile and be a good vehicle for the next few years?
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
It impossible to guarantee reliability from any vehicle
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!