Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

I have a orange engine light on? No I've topped up with oil

I have a orange engine light on?
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: No I've topped up with oil it has had trouble starting sometimes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: It is a ford smax 2008
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Putting oil in that's it no not fixing myself
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Adam

Hi Adam I hope you are doing well. I'm sorry to hear your s-max is suffering from the engine warning light showing and I understand how worrying this can be. Can you tell me other than the difficulty starting are there any other symptoms, loss of power?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Not all the time just when engine is hot

ok, so the difficulty here is knowing if the issues are caused by the underlying fault or by the engine control system limiting output due to the fault it's detected. The first step here is to get the car connected to a diagnostic scan tool to see what fault codes are stored as this will help narrow down the large list of possibilities. The most likely cause from what you are describing is an injector starting to fail

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK I don't have 1 of those so will need someone to come out or go to garage

do you have a breakdown cover?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do

ok great, if you contact them they can come out and read the faults from the car for free

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thank you

You are very welcome, keep me posted. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Very helpful

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day