Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

Audi Q7 has hone into safe mode after changing ECU. Starts

Customer Question

Audi Q7 has hone into safe mode after changing ECU. Starts but doesn't pick up
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yss
JA: What year is your Q7?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Q7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: An auto electrician tried to remove the safe mode using a diagnostic macjine but failed
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Peter
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will be do the typing than calling
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

Hi, Peter, I hope you are well. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Audi starting and I totally understand how frustrating this can be after already replacing parts. Do you know what scan tool was used to try and reset the safe mode and is it a used module that was fitted?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, I don't know. He tried 2 of them but failed
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can the SAFE mode be cleared without needing an auto electrician with a diagnostic machine?
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

ok so if a used ECU is fitted it will not work properly unless a dealer online tool is used to remove what is called component protection, sadly there is no other tool I'm aware of that can carry out this procedure

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I boufht a used ECU which I took for data transfer. The car is starting but not picking
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

ok it sounds like the data transfer hasn't been completely successful and the next step is to get another or get this one on an audi tool

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I need to contact the dealer not any other garages?
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

correct

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How do I get it on the audi tool
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

you will need to go to the dealer as you have to be licenced to use the tool it is not widely avaliable. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!