Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

My Bentley 8 is stuck in park mode, No trouble codes, 1992,

Customer Question

My Bentley 8 is stuck in park mode
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: No trouble codes
JA: What is the model/year of your Bentley?
Customer: 1992
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes the parking brake is off
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the brake lights work
Category: Car
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

Automatic Transmissions are locked in Park by a Solenoid Controlled Plunger which is released when the Brake Pedal is pressed.

It is either the Solenoid that has failed thus not releasing the lock, the Brake Pedal Switch that has failed thus preventing the power getting to the Solenoid, a Wiring issue or a module controlling it.

I would suggest you check the Voltage to the Solenoid first when you are pessing the brake pedal.  Also check the earth to make sure that is present.  If Voltage and Earth are at the Solenoid then it is the Solenoid at fault!

If there is no voltage to the solenoid the work back to the Brake Pedal Switch and check Voltage there.  Also check continuity between the various points.

Phillip