Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 500 twin air and recently when I accelerate

Customer Question

I have a 500 twin air and recently when I accelerate moderately or hard, I get a noise like air hissing and it is low on power.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From the engine bay and probably 3-4 weeks.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Fiat 500 twin air 64 plate.
JA: Are you fixing your 500e yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No and nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Happy to wait.
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Hello im Rob. A Certified Motor Technician in the UK. and will be advising you on your question today..

By the sounds of your description in relation to the issue you have. The issue id say would be more than likely and induction leak..either before or after the turbocharger.or the boost pipes or connection to intercooler..you should also inspect the air filter housing and the pipe work leading from that to throttle housing..in an ideal situation if the leak cannot be visually spotted..then using an automotive smoke machine to fill the intake,intercooler circuit may through up a few clues to location of leak...any garage should have that equipment to diagnose..

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for that. I’m no serious mechanic but have done loads of self maintenance since being a new 17 year old driver (now 53 unfortunately ). Should the leak be relatively obvious, show residue where the leak is, etc. Also, as it’s a turbo, does it have an intercooler as well? Thanks, Dave
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Sometimes you might find a light oil mist around or even hoses showing signs of rubbing would be key areas to check..of course ensuring the hoses are full tight! .. It would be a case of bascially following the pipe routing from air filter and the induction hoses.from the turbo compressor side back down to intercooler and back around to airfilter... it really depends on the where the leak is...thats why the use of a automotive smoke machine always comes in handy..and saves the hassle of hours of inspection...

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks. I did notice this (if u can see it!) when I was looking the other day. Could this be it or not enough deposit?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Zoomed out view.
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Yes i can see the photos.. Could very well be! - that notch isnt fully seated or lines to the hose anyway....something to certainly focus on id say.. that clip will likely need cut off and new jubille clip put in place to properly seat the hose.. id get the correct sized clip first before tackling it...

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Cheers. I’ll have an investigation and see whether it sorts it out. I’ll also track the system when I get the bits out the way too get to that clip. It does get revved quite a lot as it’s a learner car. Would that contribute to the leak in the first place or just one of those things?
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Its shouldnt really matter to be honest if its revved..those hoses shouldnt fail because of that..it maybe the clip isnt holding that hose on tight enough and that boost is pushing the hose off and you get the leak.....i mean once you get the hose off..check the end to ensure its not split..you'll need to clean up that oil residue before refitting it with the new clip and then see how that goes.....