IanjC211
IanjC211, Technician
Experience:  Expert
111627093

Driving home today in my 2005 XC70 (covered 144000 miles)

Driving home today in my 2005 XC70 (covered 144000 miles) and the transmission requires service light came up. The transmission is working normally and it is changing up and down the gears well. Both in auto and manual mode. The car is due a 4 year service that requires a gearbox fluid change. Could this be the reason for the light? Safe to drive still?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Sadly not.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Volvo Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was planning to book it in for its service with my Volvo specialist but he is usually booked up 3 weeks or so in advance as he only works on 3 cars a day. I have not tried anything nor would I know where to start!. Apart from this the car drives normally and good power through all the gears.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, I have noticed a slight vagueness on the steering. I spoke to my Volvo specialist earlier in the year and he said he would extract as much of the power steering fluid and replace with fresh fluid at the next service.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** am I assisting please Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your vehicle but I am here to help. The system will automatically offer a phone call but I'm unable to take calls at this time. One moment while I review the information. Regards Ian

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Michael

I would first get the vehicle checked with a suitable diagnostic scanner (OBD) tool that can access the transmission control module and check what fault codes are stored in the control module as once you have these fault codes it will give you more informatiuon to what is causing the fault, the warning light does not come on if it needs a service. The first thing to try like your mechanic said it too replace the steering fluid but you can also get a flush for the system which will clean out the system as well.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is a main Volvo dealer necessary to get these codes as they have the required tools?

No it does not need to be a Volvo dealer but a Volvo specialist will be better as they will be able to do more tests with there equipment than a normal garage.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Super Ian. Are these boxes usually reliable? The vehicle has a FSH, mostly with Volvo.

They certainly have certain problems with the clutch forks inside the transmission and the clutches as well. I have hear of them being replaced 3 times on the same vehicle in less than 90,000 miles

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you think a transmission fluid change would fix the problem as part of the next routine service or is it likely an internal problem with the box?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expensive fix?

Your mechanic will possibly suggest it and it is possible it can fix it but it depends what fault codes are stored as if it is codes related to the clutch then no it will not fix it.

If you want to keep the cost down I would take it to a transmission specialist as they will repair it as a Volvo dealer or Volvo specialist will want to replace it. What part of UK you from ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Surrey. I may know someone who has been suggested by a colleague.

OK I am not familliar with Surrey if it was more north I could have reccomended some were.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks Ian. Gearbox specialist it is. Goodnight. Michael.