EvanderC
EvanderC,
Experience:  Expert
112839393

I have a 2019 Vw Polo. It has been standing unused for ten

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a 2019 Vw Polo. It has been standing unused for ten days whilst we were away on holiday. Started today but front windscreen wipers not working - washer is working Ok and fuses intact. Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: I have checked fuses and all OK There is a 30Amp fuse for front wipers in engine compartment and this is OK
JA: What is the model of your '19 VW?
Customer: It is a 2019 Polo 1000cc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checking fuse because I thought that was most likely problem
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't know if there is much more I can tell you. I guess the next thing is to get a circuit text and check the circuit but that is a bit if a faff. Its a fairly new vehicle with only 11000 miles on the clock and shouldn't fail. My guess is that it's probably something simple but I just cant spot it.

Hi, have you tried manually moving the wipers with the wipers turned on?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, but I could do, if you give me a couple of minutes.

Ok that's fine I will wait for your feedback.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Just tried that but no response - washer operates but not wipers

Ok did you try on all power settings?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
tried all settings, but unsuccesful

Ok a very common cause can be mice that have chewed through the wires especially with the car being sat for a period of time, I would suggest inspecting the wiring leading to the wiper motor for any signs of damage.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have had a look but cannot see any immediate evidence of rodent damage. I think it is very unlikely as we have not seen mice, it is unlikely that they would have taken refuge in recent warm weather and three neighbours have cats who would probably have dealt with them!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The car was only standing for ten days, and prior to starting I checked that wiper blades were not stuck to screen.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
any other ideas? In can't imagine that its a motor failure in such a young vehicle, but if it is, I guess it's a warranty matter. Have you any experience of this sort of failure?

Hi, yes most commonly being rodents but it is also common for the motors to pack up, If your vehicle is under warranty I would suggest letting them investigate the issue unless you have electrical testing equipment and want to take it on your self.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK I'd just about come to the same conclusion myself - and checked that it is still under warranty.