Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

VW T-Roc 1.5 SEL - trim lighting in nearside front door does

Customer Question

VW T-Roc 1.5 SEL - trim lighting in nearside front door does not illuminate. All OK on off side. Is this controlled from CANBUS, or is it likely an LED defect / failure?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: According to manual, there is only one fuse for "Internal Lighting", no distinction for left / right. So fuses OK (unless fed by other means). Please advise if you know specific fuse number.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2019 69 plate
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Still under 3 year warranty. Just looking to have correct conversation with VW after checking obvious things like fuses. I have located the fuse box, but not tested any fuses as only had vague fuse identification in the manual (eg Internal Lighting - which is obviously working)
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No other defects - just looking to pin down a specific fuse or other user accessible solution.
Category: Car
Expert:  Phillip H replied 16 days ago.

Hiya

This system is controlled via CAN Bus.  If one side works in effect the other side should work.

The initial check should be at the connector for the Lamp Unit.  You should check that you have voltage and earth at the connector.  I can't remember what the voltage should be on one of those but from memory I think it is lowered to 5 Volt.

If voltage and earth is present here then I suspect it is the Lamp Unit itself.  If there is no voltage or earth here then you could be looking at either a wiring fault or a module fault possibly with the door module.

A vehicle of this age should still be under warranty so I would suggest a visit to your local dealer as any interference could render your warranty void.

Phillip

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Phillip - that confirms my own thoughts. I can't access the connector without dismantling panels, which is at risk of spoiling the warranty, so no more that I can do. Are you agreeing that there is no specific fuse that I should check (as the off-side is working)?
Expert:  Phillip H replied 16 days ago.

Hiya

No there is no separate fuse for the system.

Phillip

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Phillip H replied 16 days ago.

Hiya

No problem at all.

Phillip