Tom Hildebrandt
Tom Hildebrandt, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Kfz-Mechaniker at Ford Mohag
109781715

Just bought a VW beetle which has not been started for 3

Hi just bought a VW beetle which has not been started for 3 years anyone able to come and sought it or tell me what the problem is ,I’m near Margate
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: New battery everything works electric but engine won’t turn over
JA: What year is your Beetle?
Customer: in my garage1977
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I know about beetles
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes I bought this car to restore it’s in excellent condition but. I need to be able to get the car started

Dear Customer,

My name is ***** ***** I have been a mechanic for over 20 years.

I have read your enquiry and will do my best to help you further.

Unfortunately, we are not mobile mechanics here at JustAnswer, but I can give you some pointers.
- can the vehicle be started with a donor vehicle
- Is gasoline coming to the pump and pumping it?

- Disconnect the fuel hose from the pump to the carburettor and put 20 ml of petrol in the hose.

My guess here is that the lines and everything around them is so dry and they need to be flushed free first. The process may also have to be repeated.

However, if the pump does not start or does not deliver, the fault should be sought here. Check the relays or lines.

If you are still unclear after answering this question, please ask. I will be happy to answer and would also appreciate a nice thank you.

greetings

MechanikerTom

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Tom but that would not stop the engine turning over, could it be the starter motor
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is their a mobile mechanic who and look at this please?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Tom, but I need to get the engine first then your reply will be helpful. Paul.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I needed a mobile mechanic as I know about Beetles, sadly no help from you in that.
Paul.

Dear customer,

thank you for your message to me.

If the vehicle with donor vehicle also does not start, this can of course also be the starter.

That is exactly what I wanted to rule out.

If the car with donor vehicle starts, it is the starter motor, if it does not start with it either, it is the battery or dry line, provided that the pump delivers.

For further questions I am of course always available here online.

Greetings

MechanikerTom