Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

Both key fobs do not work. Fob batteries replaced still no

Both key fobs do not work. Fob batteries replaced still no results. Used metal key to get in but alarm going off. Not now able to lock the car
JA: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: SLK 2014
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked car battery voltage but it low from the alarm operating, now11.6v
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

A low battery is very likely the root cause of the problem. The alarm system should take power from the auxiliary battery. I would first charge the battery, then try operating the locks or start the engine.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Where is the aux battery?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Already on a call, so no

No need for a call. This is an automated offer by the system. I will get you the details on the auxiliary battery. But I think that you need to charge the main battery.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not possible to start the car. key does not work

Yes, that is exactly why, I would start by charging the battery. This is to enable the car to start.

The auxiliary battery is located behind the driver's seat:

It's behind an access cover which can be seen as different and can be removed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is this in the boot or the bonnet
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
forget my last question, just spotted your reply

Technically it's in the boot. But it's accessible from behind the front seat.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i will go and check this battery and charge it up if necessary. Probably later tonight, i have to be somewhere else shortly and im getting a lift. can we pick this up tomorrow?

Yes of course. Kindly let me know how it goes, so we proceed as needed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Billy, thanks for your help. I found a useful website for getting at the aux battery but in the end it was not necessary. I called out the RAC/MB engineer and after several diagnostic checks it turns out the keys had failed. Probably because they had been too close to our microwave oven while on holiday. So, I am going to get new keys and hope that cures the issue. Thanks again. Stan