sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Have a 1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 Northstar FWD. When I

Have a 1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 Northstar FWD. When I lock my car with the remote the security light remains on and the car battery runs down.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: stays solid, no havent reset the system
JA: Are you fixing your Seville yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have just had the alternator replaced, belts , tensioners etc. Full service. All was fine up till now. Apart from needing a new alternator. I will probably need to book the car into the garage, Just hoping there might be a simple explanation. I am in the UK and dont have any Cadillac agents.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ThNk you Jose

Dear customer what you present is known as a parasitic current this is a current that removes battery to the vehicle being off means that there is an electrical circuit in the vehicle that is stealing energy, actually it is something simple to solve you have to check through the fuse box and relays which circuit is consuming energy and correct it do not worry any workshop that has knowledge in automotive electricity can help you do not need to visit an agency.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a re-set will not help? Can you tell me how to carry out a re-set for future?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry, I meant to say if I lock the full car with the remote, then unlock the drivers door only with the remote and then lock the drivers door with the key. The security light remains off.

If you want to do a reset you can do it from the battery for this you will disconnect and connect negative from the battery leaving positive connected for 30 seconds I do not recommend you do it constantly, I recommend you do it only as a last option because these manual restarts can cause the immobiliser system of the vehicle to be activated.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That’s ok, I had to disconnect the negative terminal to recharge the flat battery. I assume this would have reset the system at this time.

Yes, dear customer, is there anything else I can help you with?

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.