Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

I am having an issue with my Audi Q5. The car takes several

Hi There - I am having an issue with my Audi Q5. The car takes several attempts to start it has a new battery - changed 2 weeks back
JA: What year is your Q5?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your Q5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it keeps throwing an error - stability programme fault
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: it has done 94500 miles after few tries the car start and the fault goes away
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have to push the key in really hard and also hit the break pedal hard for the car to start

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
May I know with whom I'm speaking now?

Let me know which exact engine you have, or post the license plate.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Mr Mustafa

Hello Mr. Mustafa,

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Could we continue through chat pls
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It’s Audi Q5 diesel 2.0 lit diesel
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Reg number is ***** RZM

No phone calls needed, as mentioned earlier. This is an automated offer by the system.

I will check the details now that I have the engine.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have limited skills in fixing a car . Can do very limited basic checks and changes

The most common cause for such a problem would be moisture on the engine control module connector or on the ABS/ESP connector. This will cause the communication to be disrupted, causing the no start condition.

To confirm, this will need to be connected to diagnostic equipment to get the fault codes from both modules.

However, you can start by checking the connectors, make sure those have tight and clean contacts.

VW/Audi issued a bulletin to address this problem, which I will include.

Here's a copy of that bulletin in PDF:

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Also . My car does not have a start stop feature

The start stop feature is irrelevant at this point.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thanks . One more observation the gear indication keeps flashing P when I try to start the car
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Occasionally it also throws error parking break failure

That's one more sign that the drive communication network is being disrupted. The fault codes will confirm.

The electronic parking brake may be a separate issue. But that can be tackled if the problem persists having fixed the main issue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I had take the car to central Audi and VW garage in Birmingham
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me attach their diagnostic report
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
To be honest I am not too sure if their report fully aligns to what the problem is

You don't necessarily need a dealership. An independent VW garage would work.

Let's see what we have on the report, hopefully they included the fault codes.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sure let me attach it here
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (427GML3)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (2T446SZ)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (17QVGV4)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (L22L2VL)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (SVLGP34)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (QP74S4Z)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hope images are clear
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me know what you think needs to be done next
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry - are you still there

The images are clear.

This is weird. Because they saw all the communication issues which would cause a no start, and they only focused on the other problem which is the parking lock solenoid. The parking lock solenoid does need to be addressed. But that is after fixing the communication problems. The main issue here is the loss of communication, it will cause the no start, and might even cause the parking lock solenoid problem. Because this solenoid's data is transmitted via the transmission module (on the communication network).

I'm here, I was checking the reports.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok

So the first thing I would ask them is why did they discard all the communication faults which can cause this problem.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What is your recommended approach to fix this .

It's still the same, first check the connectors on the ESP and the engine modules. Then check the communication network signals.

I indicated earlier that this fault is caused by communication issues. And this is a common fault on this model. The diagnostic report confirms that we have this problem. Yet, they chose to ignore it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have try multiple times to start the car and for each start it take 10-15 mins which is annoying and I am concerned at some stage it will not start all

I understand. And it may get to that point. This does need to be addressed.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Any recommendations on a garage who are experts in tackling such problem and are aware of what to look for
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have already spent more than 300 pounds so far but not got any where with this issue
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hence decided with consult and seek expert advice

I don't have a specific recommendation. But I believe that any decent VW/Audi garage (not necessarily dealership) should know this issue and should be able to trace and fix the problem.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is my wife’s car and she is an A&E doctor and it is imperative for her to have a car in good working condition as she has to respond to emergency call

Indeed.

Let me know how it goes, or if further assistance is needed.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok . What do you reckon needs to be fixed to sort out the communication issues
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What would need fixing to sort out the communications network signal ?

The wiring will need checking and fixing.

The communication is done via two wires (twisted pair) across the modules. The first thing to check would be the connectors at the modules. If the problem persists, then the wiring will need tracing, while checking the network signal or wave form. But most commonly dirty contacts on the connectors cause such an intermittent issue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your advice . I am reaching out to central Audi and vw specialist to get it checked

Thank you for your trust Mr. Mustafa. Cheers.