Tom Hildebrandt
Tom Hildebrandt, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Kfz-Mechaniker at Ford Mohag
109781715

Batery probleme, Yes, 2005, Charge the batery, No

Customer Question

Batery probleme
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Charge the batery
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom Hildebrandt replied 9 days ago.

Dear advice seeker,

My name is ***** ***** I have been a mechanic for over 20 years.

I have read your enquiry and will do my best to help you further.

Your question did not arrive here, only the phrase "charge the battery". Please let me know how I can help you further and exactly what vehicle is involved?

MechanikerTom

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Tom
I have problems with my batery fo long time already , this is because i am travelig every day 5 min. To the station and 5 min. Back in the evening . First periods i desconected cable from the batery during the night and this halp me to start car next day.After a period of time this metod didn't halp me , and i bot a jump starter , and for a good period of time this halp me .Now sometimes jump starte is halping sometimes ot doesn't start .
Recently i wos to halfords and to the eurocar parts and thei check my batery, and sad me that the batery is recomended to chagi bot is still good.
And i decided to by a buttery charge .
I put batery on charge, i charged it 100% and engine started after that for a few times and after again .
Now before i try to start engine i check with a multi Multi metre an it's showing 12.5 bot engine do not start and sometimes don't start even with a jump starter,
In this case i use powe cables andt take pover frome another car and this always halp me to start the engine.
What do you sink i can do with my problem?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sory for my eanglish
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can't speak on a phone becouse i will not understand you

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

In principle, the vehicle can be started by external starting, which means that the starter motor is intact.

You also write that your battery has a charge of 12.5 volts, so it should be OK.

Because of the constant short journeys, the problem could be with the battery or the alternator.

A battery is charged by the alternator while driving, but if the alternator does not have time to charge the battery (only 5 minutes of driving), there will be
a.) a cell short circuit - battery
b.) a defective alternator - carbon pins worn out.

You would NOT notice a battery cell short circuit by the voltage, but only if you switch on the ignition and gradually switch on the consumers, such as lights, radio, heating, air conditioning, and then look at how far the voltage drops.

A defective alternator can be recognised by the fact that the battery is no longer being charged correctly or that the starter motor turns very slowly, even though the battery is intact.

So I would consider both, check and replace if necessary.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

greetings

MechanikerTom