sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2006 Ford ranger super cab XLT and the dials and

Hi I have a 2006 Ford ranger super cab XLT and the dials and odometer have stopped working everything else appears to be working
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked all the fuses in the cab and tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if it would reset,
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: the battery is fairly new and looks like it was replaced before I bought it in September
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: there is water seeping in both corners of the windscreen in heavy rain

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Have you got any ideas?

Dear customer there are several factors that can cause this, it is possible that it is just a series of fuses nothing else, maybe there was a voltage rise in the electrical system that could have blown some fuses it would be good if you try to check them this are under the dashboard.

There could also be a problem with the rear connections on the dashboard, sometimes moisture can build up in the connections, this causes interference with the signals to the cluster so the instrument panel does not work properly.

These two factors are the most common ones that can cause the instrument panel to malfunction, ideally start by checking both, these checks can be done by an external workshop, you don't have to go to a dealer.

I would also like to tell you that the worst thing that can happen is that for some reason the electronic board of the cluster is damaged, in this case the whole instrument panel needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
None of the fuses have blown I have checked and everything else is working,
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It is just the odometer and the gauges that aren’t working

Dear customer, I am concerned that it is only those two indicators, because in most cases when only a few indicators fail, it is because the electronic board has problems in the integrated circuits that send signals to these indicators. Ford has had these problems with its cluster.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Would this imply a dodgy connection or that the instrument panel needs to be replaced?

Dear customer I recommend to check both factors, but I always recommend to check the connections as there are times when a bad connection can cause interference in the cluster signals, but I have come across several Fords with this same type of problem and most of them I have had to replace the whole cluster, but it is always advisable to start with the easiest thing and in this case it is the connections.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where am I likely to find the connections to check that are specific to the fault?

Dear customer the rear connections of the cluster, when you remove the cluster you can check them, but the check is not very complicated, just check that there is no corrosion build up, also that they are not out of place, there is no moisture, that the wires are not exposed etc....

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok Thankyou I will give that a go

Dear customer, is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No Thankyou

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.