Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

Do 2002 Volkswagens contain asbestos in exhausts?

Customer Question

Hello do 2002 Volkswagens contain asbestos in exhausts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Mis
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Mia*
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
From the uk*
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

Hi Mia I hope you are well. I'm sorry to hear you have concerns over asbestos in your vehicle and I totally understand how worrying this is. So asbestos use in auto vehicles has been regulated since 1980. But it was totally banned in any vehicle manufactured after 1999 so there will be no asbestos in this vehicle

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But I googled abd uf said Germany didn’t ban asbestos till 2005 xx
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if *
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

but the vehicle you have was manufacturer to UK standards because it was sold here so unless its an import it will not contain asbestos

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But it was made in Germany like all Volkswagens? X
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

it doesn't matter where it was made it has to meet the requirements of the country it's sold in and the laws. the simplest way to show this would be that they are made in the same factory but the steering wheel and lights are on opposite sides to meet our standards

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It said Germany introduced ban of crystotile asbestos in 1993 with the exception of something to do with chlorine dia
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

i an not familiar with german rules only UK because we are protected by them with health and safety rules

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the car was made in Germany in 2002 , with asbestos parts , how would the car not have them now when transported to uk?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the car will 100% not be made from asbestos ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

the car would not have been allowed to use any component with asbestos inside after 1999 otherwise it would not be allowed for sale in the UK. It will be 100 % free from asbestos. there is only one exception for cars dating pre-1973 which could continue to be fitted with asbestos-containing brake shoes up until 2004.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What if it was bought in Germany tho and resold in uk off German people
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

if I can take the vehicle identification number in can look this up and confirm

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don’t know it x
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

do you know the reg number?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It’s private reg it’s not my bar it’s my friends
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Iv just been in close contact with it behind it with the exhaust
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Surely they check this in an MOT?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

if you can get me the reg or the vehicle identification number I can look this up. As a current mot tester I can confirm that no vehicle of any age is inspected for asbestos

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It’s not my car though she might not be happy about me doing that
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

totally up to you. the information you give me will be hidden from anyone else if it contains personal information

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Well you said it 100% won’t contain asbestos so it doesn’t does it ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

no

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!