Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

The charge light flashes red when i start the car - the car

the charge light flashes red when i start the car - the car is not plugged in- for the last 2 mornings which have been under 5 degrees. This morning it flashed red all the way home and it flashed red a couple of times red after i plugged it in, but now is green
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: it is the charging light on top of the dash which usually comes on when it is charging
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2018 kia optima phev estate
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havent tried anything yet
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no, cant think of anything

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
May I know with whom I'm speaking now?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
dave

Hello Dave!

This flashing indicates that the battery is low and not to be used. The cold temperature would be a main factor here. Because the battery's capacity is significantly reduced at low temperatures. So you just need to charge it more when the weather is cold, and expect less range.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
should i put the car into HEV mode? Or just let the car decide if the engine should run or not

If you are not having issues, better let the algorithm decide.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok, thanks for your answer
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i feel relieved now, thanks for your help

Thank you for your trust Dave. Cheers.