sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a mk4 titanium x mondeo. I filled a street with smoke

I have a mk4 titanium x mondeo. I filled a street with white smoke after losing power and the engine going upto 4500 revs then just running down to 0 and cutting out. No engine warning light but I do have a engine malfunction on dash
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I've manged to jump start it again and nothing sounds wrong and no other problems. Have not checked fuses
JA: What year is your Mondeo?
Customer: It's an 08 UK plate
JA: Are you fixing your Mondeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried nothing so far. Just eliminating things like liquid coming out of exhaust. No nasty sounds etc. I drove it out the way just fine but when reving the engine after 2500 revs it shot upto 4500 and smoothly cut out
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else I can think of

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hey

Dear customer, white smoke means that there is excess air in the combustion, which makes me think that it is likely that you have suffered a turbo problem.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That's what I was thinking from some forum reading. I'm assuming it's best to get a mechanic to check it as I can't get the fault code
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would you be able to guess at it being a repair or a replacement?

Also white smoke can mean that there is water in the combustion, usually if it overheats it can damage the cylinder head gasket which allows air to pass into the cylinders.

But from what you describe in your query it is possible that the problem is the turbo as the rpm varied a lot and there are no strange noises and so on....

For example, if the problem comes from the shaft or one of the blades, the turbo can be repaired. On the other hand, if the problem is caused by excessive wear on the turbo or severe damage, the turbo must be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
There was some rattling the first time I
It happened. But its been sat still for a while and I tried to take it up a steep hill almost immediately after jump tarting it

That rattle could be coming from the turbo, from what you describe I would focus on the turbo overhaul.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've left it a few hours and driven it forward and parallel parked it no problem about an hour ago but when revving high the same thing happened but no huge white cloud nor the rattling

Be very careful, if the turbo detached a metal part, this metal part can enter the engine through the intake, it is better not to drive the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No that's it thanks mate. Thank you for confirming what it was. Do you recommend driving it gently to my garage or towing it there?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ahh ok

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks mate. You've probably given me the best advice with the info I have given you. Thanks for the help. Have a good day.

Kind regards, Sebastian.