Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I just bought a 500L Fiat car and unfurtunit is not Ulez. I

Customer Question

Hello I just bought a 500L Fiat car and unfurtunit is not Ulez . I wanted to know if it will be possible to make the car ulez by changing the engine or installing a
JA: What year is your 500e?
Customer: Or installing a catalytic reduction? It’s a 2013 make
JA: Are you fixing your 500e yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I haven’t, I have made a few calls to garages but they can’t help
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a Vehicle Master Tech/MOT Tester located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call.I don’t personally offer this service. I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best advice possible and to help you. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Firstly can i ask who i am speaking with today?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello Rob my name is Julia
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Hello Julia.

- What engine do you have in the vehicle at the moment or Reg?

Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.
As a follow up to your question. There isnt really alot of options if any to enable the car to be ULEZ compliant. obviously changing the engine is one option but it comes with a cost to convert that plus it will likely be considered a new reregistered vehicle as new build to conform to Euro 6 emissions and so on. You would then have to take it to a facility that can perform a full emissions test through DVSA and therefore issue you with a new certificate of conformity, its a very expensive option over and above replacing it with a vehicle that is approved.