Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I have had a flashing check engine light on my car, it’s now

Customer Question

Hi, I have had a flashing check engine light on my car, it’s now gone to fixed on. Sounds like the exhaust isn’t too happy. I’m currently away from home and not sure if I should drive it and get back or get it sorted here?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it was blinking initially but now fixed
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: VW golf 2000
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven’t tried anything so far, I’m trying to see wether I can drive it or not
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Phillip H replied 18 days ago.
Hiya

The first stage of diagnosis would be to have a full diagnostic code read to determine what code(s) if any are present.  From there a diagnostic path can be established.

Without knowing what is wrong with the vehicle it is impossible to say if it can be driven any great distance.  The best course of action would be to visit your nearest VW dealer (VW Dealer Locator) to have a  diagnostic carried out and then decide on the best course of action.

Phillip