sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

We are stuck in Santander having broken down just off the

Customer Question

Hi. We are stuck in Santander having broken down just off the ferry. Engine cut out and we have an immobiliser light on dashboard so cannot restart the engine. Garage here in Spain unable to fix. Any advice?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Which fuses
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Fiat Ducato 2009 it’s a motorhome
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the garage diagnostic man said it was a fault with camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. Garage have refitted crankshaft sensor but have said they can do more.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Don’t think so. Is there a way to bypass the immobiliser or at least reset it ourselves as garage have said they cannot help
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.
Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, please give me a moment to evaluate your problem in detail, you can send me pictures or videos that better describe your problem, also, it is likely that I should ask some additional questions to improve my final answer. The system will offer you a premium service call which has an additional charge to the initial cost of the consultation, but it is not necessary we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, did the workshop carry out any diagnostics?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Diagnosis of camshaft and crankshaft sensors. They have replaced the crankshaft sensor.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They have replaced both sensors
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How do we unlock the immobiliser to restart the engine

Dear customer to reset the immobiliser you need a diagnostic equipment with the brand software, otherwise you will not be able to reset it, I would like to know what codes were obtained.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Don’t know and the man with diagnostic equipment is not here now

Dear customer, the proper way is to do it from the equipment and I need the codes found to understand why he decided to change that sensor.

Dear customer, with all that you have told me, including the activation of your immobiliser system and the replacement of the crankshaft sensor, I must tell you that it really seems to me a somewhat inadequate decision, in these cases it is mandatory to proceed to deactivate your immobiliser from a specialised diagnostic equipment, such as those used by experts in automotive locksmiths, I honestly would have opted for this, as apart from having the best costs for this kind of repairs, they have very good response times, secondly, if there is any record of error codes or any diagnosis that your workshop made, I would appreciate you sharing it with me, as there is no clear reason for them to decide to make a replacement of the crankshaft sensor.

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back. The experts at just answer will always be there to help you. For future enquiries you can contact me directly using @Exp-JoseSebas Kind regards, Sebastian