sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a roughly 27-year old Volkswagen Golf. Is it actually

I have a roughly 27-year old Volkswagen Golf. Is it actually possible to fit it with air conditioning?
Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi!

Dear customer this can be done even I have a 74 Volkswagen which I put air conditioning, which is done by installing a generic air conditioning system or you can even install an air conditioning system of a 2002 Volkswagen.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's great news. I never thought it was possible and so I never even asked the mechanic. I live in Central Italy, and it gets pretty hot at times. So for all of the years that I have owned this car, I have to drive in summer with the windows open!

Dear customer do not worry I live in a hot area and in summer the heat is unbearable but I love my 74 Volkswagen beetle so I preferred to put air conditioning, you only need the compressor, the evaporator, and a pipe that carries air into the cabin, of course you need to have a module that works as a thermostat or regulator, so it is good to install a system of any year 2002 as a polo or a goal, as it is what you have replaced the entire system also in the junkyards you can get these complete systems are very good prices.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was having the MOT done today and asked about this. He told me it was not worth it and I asked him what the cost might be. He reckoned 2000 Euro, IF I was lucky. Anyway, I next went over to the car mechanic, and they promised to look into the matter for me. I hope they have a better answer.Do you have any idea what the cost might be to do it properly? Actually, even if it was what he stated, it might still be worth considering since the price of most relatively modern second-hand cars is way more than this.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, is there a good place for getting parts for this car? It has taken them months to locate the covers for the front indicator lights, which disappeared on one side.
Dear customer, have you checked on eBay and europarts? I usually get good prices for second hand parts, you just have to take good care that they ship to where we are located.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good idea. Thank you.Any idea what a typical cost would be for the ai conditioning? The person who mentioned that price might have no idea at all.

Dear customer, I will take a look at this, and leave you a notice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you manage to find anything out?

Dear customer, if I was checking and I do not know if it is worth it, the cost of the parts ends up being very high, over 1200 pounds between all parts, not to mention labor, parts for this work are not easy to get, what I sincerely ***** ***** can minimize the cost of this, is that you take it to a place where they make modifications and adapt one of a newer model.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for this. Very helpful.The thing is, I don't do much driving really, and when I do it is not very distant. I don't need the latest most modern car.What I have come to understand with these old cars is that, even though the parts are hard to find, the cost of repairs at the mechanic is typically quite cheap. However, with modern cars, the typical costs are much higher; usually at least £500, and even into the thousands. I was told that this is because so much of it is electronics these days, not just physical parts.As far as I am concerned, the only thing this old car lacks but really needs in Central Italy, is air conditioning. So, it seems to me that even if I went ahead with the sort of price you are mentioning, I am insulating myself against much greater future expenses as a consequence of buying a more recent second-hand car; even an old one.What are your thoughts?

Dear customer, what other second-hand, older cars do you have in mind? Indeed, the repairs of new cars are getting more and more expensive every day, as practically everything requires not only a change of parts but also reprogramming and everything has electronic modules that make everything a bigger problem, which is not the case with older cars (I miss that), however with cars from 2010, these repairs are still economical, there are not so many complications regarding the electronics and the parts are not so difficult to get.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for that helpful perspective, which I shall consider.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also sounds like you are saying, get a 12 year old car.
Actually considering the points that you consider important between the cost of the vehicle, performance, cost of spare parts and labour at the time of repair if they are the ones I would consider the most important, they are already in a balanced level between old and new.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. That is helpful.

At your service dear customer.