sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a sprinter 2008 with starting issues and is giving me

Hi I have a sprinter 2008 with starting issues and is giving me a crankshaft sensor falt I have alredy replaced the sensor and checked the wires but its intermitant wen it starts
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: No it runs and idles fine just takes a bit to start
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing it myself so far I have put a new battery on as it tested bad and a new sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Wen it dosnt start I get the code but after I clear it it will start ok with a little time but after switch off it then won't start but now it's starting each time though hard to start
Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, please give me a moment to evaluate your problem in detail, you can send me pictures or videos that better describe your problem, also, it is likely that I should ask some additional questions to improve my final answer. The system will offer you a premium service call which has an additional charge to the initial cost of the consultation, but it is not necessary we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, from what you say it could be the timing system, that's why it marks synchronisation on the crankshaft sensor, although it could also be the sensor socket that is worn, this sensor works like a magnet, when it is worn it does not read the crankshaft meshing correctly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm a bit confused at it being a crank sensor as I fitted a genuine Mercedes crank sensor
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's an odd one as some times it starts with no issues some times it takes longer as it fires once and gose back to cranking befor starting and running and other times it just cranks trys to start then back to cranking and puts this code back active some forms I read said about the cam giving issues as I had also got it to start on easy start and then it runs like normal
Which code is generated for you?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's a 2045-02 I'm also using a texa scanner

Which error code is generated ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That is the error code 2045-02 crankshaft sensor wrong signal

Dear customer, please give me a moment to review this xodi

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just tryed starting it and it ternd over alot with about 3 or 4 times of it firering trying to start befor it did start and run along with putting the crankshaft code active
Dear customer, when there are problems of this kind, the most appropriate thing to do is to check the distribution system, as this will generate errors in some sensors without the sensor necessarily working badly, what happens is that the signal to the ECU is sent by the sensors and the fault is registered in them.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Could you explain a bit what you mean with checking the distribution system I'm afraid I don't quit understand to well
Dear customer mainly by checking that the timing points are correct, normally the belt or chain cover has to be disassembled in order to see this.

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas Thank you for trusting Justanswer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi I have more of an update as I have now had time to look at my timing marks on my sprinter and found that the crank timing mark is slightly off alinement wile the camshaft timing marks are aline if it helps I have taken some pictures of them

Dear customer I will check these photos in a moment.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (1Z5571P)

Dear customer, normally it should coincide, although sometimes you can move the point a little, but in the photographs, it is not very noticeable if the variation is very high, generally it should not be more than 3 mm.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it will be ok and not the cause for my starting isue

Dear customer, as I indicated it appears to be greater than 3mm, if you can check this it would be ideal.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have checked the distance on the crank pulls and it is indeed over 3mm out its sat at 5mm off

Dear customer, then yes, it could affect.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is there any ways I can check to see why it has gone out of timing or is it recommended to replace just the chain or all the guides as well

Dear, you have to check or replace the complete kit, i.e. tensioner, sliders, chains, guides, and the markings must match.